Think Animal Crossing is just a cutesy 'capitalist dystopia'? Think again

Faceyak

Faceyak

PG Coin
Animal Crossing: New Horizons’ simulated paradise is said to have a dark capitalist underbelly. But a popular subreddit where players can donate items reveals the kindness – and generosity – of strangers

In our current era of global capitalism, we’ve come to accept you can’t get owt for nowt. Imagine my surprise, then, when on 6 May, a stranger from Leeds handed me four solid lumps of gold. Though I tried to offer money in return, the generous 20-year-old refused. Within minutes, she had disappeared.

Yes, it’s probably relevant that this exchange took place in the simulated paradise of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a game that has been purchased more than 13m times since its March launch. The encounter would have been only marginally more spectacular in real life because gold is valuable in Animal Crossing, too; it can take hours of hitting digital rocks to procure a single lump – and a stranger I met over Facebook gave me four for free.

Continue reading...

Continue reading...

Most Richest Forum User

Most PG Coin

P
poojanegi
9,243 PG Coin
M
Monaliza
6,872 PG Coin
I
informupdate
5,927 PG Coin
T
Tutorials71
5,735 PG Coin
K
kishoresenthil
4,824 PG Coin
Santhoshzak
Santhoshzak
4,352 PG Coin
E
ellaarthur686
3,824 PG Coin
jaliniris
jaliniris
3,710 PG Coin
kavins
kavins
3,208 PG Coin
AbirSteve
AbirSteve
3,200 PG Coin

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.